During her visit to Scone Palace on 6 September 1842, Queen Victoria would have walked through this short hallway on her way to the suite of rooms that the 4th Earl of Mansfield had created for her and Prince Albert.
As she passed through, she may have noticed the Italian alabaster panels carved by Maximillian Colt, the same artist who created the monument to the 1st Lord Scone in the Chapel on Moot Hill.
The panels depict the coats of arms of David Murray, the 1st Lord Scone, and his wife Elizabeth Betoun, whom he married in 1604. Since the panels contain the arms from both families, it is likely they were commissioned to celebrate his wedding, and so pre-date the palace’s refurbishment in 1802. Elizabeth was the niece of Mary Betoun, one of Mary Queen of Scots Ladies in Waiting.
Also in this room is a pair of Coronation Chairs from the coronation of George VI, Elizabeth II’s father. George VI was crowned in Westminster Abbey on 12 May 1937. He ascended the throne after the abdication of his brother, Edward VIII. The 7th Earl of Mansfield and Dorothea Carnegie attended the coronation, after which, they were given the opportunity to purchase the chairs on which they had been seated during the ceremony.